Chopped salads are popping up all over the interweb. And every time I see one I think to myself, “Ooh I’ve got to make one!” I love chopped salads. Forkfuls of finely chopped romaine lettuce loaded with lots of yummy toppings and plenty of dressing are just the best kind of salads. Don’t you think?
I finally got around to making this version of a chopped salad that I absolutely love. Like really, really love. I added a few of my favorite salad mix-ins that really just make it sooo good.
Like bbq chicken- bbq chicken in salads is one of my favs.
And apples- I love the texture of crisp and crunchy apples in a salad.
Bacon, of course- because every good salad needs bacon. Duh.
Avocado- for the same reason as the bacon.
And blue cheese- because I love its sharp flavor and the depth it gives a bowl of crunchy lettuce.
And all of the flavors and crunchy textures are just perfect together. Everything is tossed together with a little more bbq sauce and olive oil + balsamic vinegar to taste. All of the chopping can be a bit time consuming but it’s well worth it. So get choppin’. I have a feeling this one’s going to be a repeat around here. We loved it. Ate it all. And immediately wished we had more.
Ps. this makes two really large salads. Hope you’re hungry.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3-4 tbsp barbecue sauce for coating the chicken (plus extra for drizzling on the salad)
- 4 cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 green apple, cored and chopped
- 1 fuji apple, cored and chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- 2-3 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 3-4 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut chicken into one-inch cubes and season with salt and pepper. Coat a large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat and cook chicken until all sides are browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and toss chicken together with 3-4 tbsp of barbecue sauce and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together the chopped lettuce, bbq chicken, chopped apples, avocado, bacon crumbles, blue cheese crumbles and green onion. Drizzle with another 2 tbsp barbecue sauce plus extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Divide into two bowls and serve.