Some of you have asked what my results were from doing Whole30. The short answer: I felt really good. I felt lean, less bloated, and had much more energy. I didn’t hit the typical afternoon “wall” I usually do and I had much more energy in my morning workouts. Which made me workout harder. I feel like four months later (post partum) I’m finally getting my exercise groove back, which feels really good.
One thing I really missed while on Whole30 was cheese. Hot, melty cheese on and in everything. I realllly love cheese. Why can’t cheese just make us skinny?! Kidding….kind of.
These Cheesy Chicken Quinoa Bites taste like cheesy chicken nuggets– really good, better for you, chicken nuggets! They are packed with protein (from both the chicken and quinoa), veggies, and of course, cheese. You can go light on the cheese or make them super cheesy. Either way, they’ve got great flavor.
These might be the only way I ever get my kiddos to eat quinoa. They didn’t even notice it!
I whipped up a super easy Cajun Yogurt BBQ sauce by combining equal parts Greek yogurt and barbecue sauce, with a little cajun seasoning and lime juice. And the sauce, it’s pretty essential to these little cheesy bites.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (any variety)
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays)
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1- 1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning (more or less to desired taste)
- dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bring chicken broth and quinoa to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cook and cover for 10-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet, add peppers, and cook until tender.
- Combine quinoa, sauteed peppers, chicken, garlic salt, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper, cheese, milk and egg in a medium bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop quinoa-chicken mix into a greased mini muffin tin. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from tin.
- Whisk yogurt, bbq sauce, lime juice, and cajun seasoning in a bowl. Serve with quinoa bites.