This whole cold oats things has grown on me. As a kid, I didn’t even like regular oatmeal. The warm, soggy texture just didn’t do it for me. But now in my old age, I love oatmeal. And I even like it cold!
Especially if it kinda tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough. You know, a healthier, breakfast-y kind of cookie dough.
Here’s the thing– you can sweeten these oats up three different ways. For the not so healthy option, use brown sugar. It will make them taste even more like cookie dough. For a healthier option, use honey or agave (or any other natural sweetener) you like. And for a protein-packed option, sweeten the oats with vanilla protein powder.
I’ve made these several times in the last week and I like to use protein powder. We have a Cinnamon Roll protein powder that really makes them taste good. Greek yogurt makes the oats really creamy too, which I love.
When you make these the night before they make for a tasty grab-n-go breakfast!
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener of choice (brown sugar, honey, agave, protein powder)
- 1 tbsp mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place everything in a jar or bowl and stir together. Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator. Let chill over-night (about 8 hours). Add a splash of almond milk in the morning if needed. Stir and enjoy.
- inspired and adapted from Amy's Healthy Baking.