Spicy, flavorful chicken tinga cooked in the slow cooker. Perfect to add to any Mexican dish for a quick weeknight meal!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga is perfect to make on a busy weeknight (oh, hello holiday season!) Once the meat is done you can use it to make tacos, lettuce wraps, quesadillas, or even just a taco salad. It will give those simple, classic dishes new flavor! Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give this chicken smoky flavor and some kick, and depending on how much spice you like you can leave the seeds from the peppers in or out.
I made this for my family while we were together in Arizona and might have forgot to leave out the seeds 😐 The boys loved it, and while a few of us suffered through the heat, everyone still loved it.
All that goes into your slow cooker is chicken, tomato, onion, chipotle peppers, garlic and chicken broth! We almost always use the Chicken Tinga to make lettuce wraps for my husband and I and quesadillas for the kids.
- 2-1/2 to 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 3 cups chopped onion (I used white onion)
- 5 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (from 7-ounce can)
- 2 tsp Spice Islands® Minced Garlic
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- avocado slices
- Pat chicken dry using paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken to skillet and cook until lightly brown on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to 6-quart slow cooker. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and onions to skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Add to slow cooker with tomatoes, chipotles, garlic and chicken broth. Mix well.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on HIGH or 4 to 6 hours on LOW. Once chicken is cooked through and tender, remove chicken and shred. Stir back into the sauce. Serve in romaine lettuce cups with desired toppings.
- source: Mazola Corn Oil.