Happy happy 2016!! I’m declaring today the start of my new year…because, holy cow I ate so much CRAP over the weekend! It was like the partying + good food + eating out just carried on. It was too hard to start on Friday. Ya feel me?
I’m not starting any crazy diet, but just cleaning it up! More fruits and veggies + water, less cookies 😏 + less diet coke (i think). I think I’ll try to keep my cookie consuming to a one-a-week thing. But I’ll talk more about goals and stuff on another post. Let’s talk about this dinner you should make, asap!
These Slow Cooker Curry Quinoa Turkey Bowls are from Julie from Table for Two’s new cookbook, Dinner for Two. It’s a good one! So many great simple meals that are perfect for small families like ours.
I love using my slow cooker, love curry, and love quinoa, so the Slow Cooke Curry Quinoa Turkey Bowls were the first dish that jumped out at me in her book. And it’s pretty awesome. It’s such a simple and flavorful dish, it’ll be one we make again.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 (15.5 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped parsley for topping (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground turkey until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes. Add the onions and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In the slow cooker, add tomato puree, chicken broth, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, quinoa, salt, and pepper. Stir to incorporate all the spices and ingredients.
- Carefully add the ground turkey and onion mixture, and stir again to incorporate.
- Cover and cook for 3 1/2 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Divide into bowls and serve. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top, if desired.