So the word is out that baby #3 is ANOTHER BOY! I’m not going to pretend I wasn’t hoping for a girl. Every mother wants a girl, right? But I really am okay with another boy! My boys are strong willed, loud, are masters of destruction, wild and crazy, and wear me out every single day. Yet they are so much fun and the sweetest little boys at the same time! Why not add another one to the pack? I think about what great buddies the three will be and that makes me happy. And I’m extremely grateful to have a healthy lil’ babe in there!
Besides….maybe number four is our girl (but don’t tell my husband I said that, he thinks we might be done!)
Anyways, I had another recipe ready to share today but I made these little cheesy stuffed poblano peppers last night and they were so good, I wanted to share them right away. I get so excited about food sometimes!
I’ve never cooked with poblano peppers so initially I thought these might be too spicy for me, but knowing my husband would love them, I went for it anyway. If anything, he could just have leftovers to take to work for the week. Turns out poblanos are mild chili peppers , they weren’t too hot at all, and I ate my fair share. There were no leftovers!
The peppers get stuffed with a really simple mixture of chicken and quinoa, green chiles, tomatoes, cheese, and a few spices. If you cook your chicken and quinoa ahead of time, this dish comes together pretty quickly.
(Side note–I’ve started cooking quinoa in chicken broth instead of water and it gives it great flavor! Definitely try it!)
Once stuffed, the peppers get another helping of cheese on top then get baked in the oven until hot, bubbly, cheesy perfection! I’m such a sucker for hot, cheesy dinners. We absolutely looooved this one. I couldn’t even wait for Brett to get home to dig in.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14 oz) can dice tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- 3-4 poblano peppers (depending on size)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- 1. In a saucepan, bring 2 cup chicken broth and one cup of quinoa (rinsed) to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and remove from heat.
- 2. In a large bowl combine quinoa, cooked chicken, green chiles, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of cheese, cumin, crushed red pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup water and stir together.
- 3. Slice poblano peppers in half length-wise and remove seeds and membranes (leaving stems). Place poblano peppers in a 9 X 13 inch pan. Fill each halve with 1/2 cup of chicken and quinoa mixture. Sprinkle tops with more cheese (as cheesy as you want them!)
- 4. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 for 30 minutes (or until peppers are tender). Remove foil and broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
- 5. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sour cream and serve.