The weather was so strange last week! Cold, foggy, a little rainy. So this Chicken Quinoa Curry Soup totally made sense. It’s warmer this week but I’m still craving it again! If you cook like to cook quinoa ahead for the week like I do AND have a rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked, shredded chicken you can whip up this soup in no time! But if you’re cooking your chicken and your quinoa you can still get the soup on the table in under an hour!
You all know I’m in love with quinoa + my kids are slowly climbing on board too (they didn’t even know it was in this soup!). It’s high in antioxidants and has a good protein-to carbohydrate ratio and helps keep us fuller and satisfied longer!
In the soup we’ve got carrots, bell peppers and onions with a chicken broth base that’s made a little creamier with coconut milk. With some curry powder, garlic, and salt and pepper it has that perfect curry taste! If you like your curry a little spicy, I recommend adding a pinch of cayenne pepper too. But if you’re keeping it kid-friendly, I’d leave it out and add it individually to your bowl!
Get your soup on friends!!
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (any variety)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 curry powder
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk (from a can)
- garnish with:
- chopped cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- In a large soup pot saute the garlic in olive oil for a minute or two. Add the carrots, onion, and peppers and saute until just tender.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, shredded chicken and cooked quinoa. Stir in seasonings (curry powder, curry paste, salt and pepper). Let simmer on low for 10-15 minutes (let it thicken up a bit). If it gets too thick add more broth if needed.
- **if you need to cook the chicken, boil 2 breast (or 6 tenders) in water until cooked through. Remove chicken and shred. if you need to cook the quinoa, bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil, stir in 1 cup quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Measure out 1½ cups for the soup.