Sometimes, we get in these food grooves, where we eat the same things over and over. There’s been little to no variety in my diet this week. Example- we’ve had salmon three out of the four nights this week for dinner. It’s been so long since we’ve bought it, that now we are burning through it.
I’ve had quinoa with at least one meal a day this week. And now thanks to my husband we are drinking one green smoothie a day too. I guess you can say it’s been a week full of salmon, quinoa, and green smoothies. And it’s only Thursday.
But I’m so digging salmon. It’s like the new chicken over here.
I’ve been sear-roasting our salmon filets. I saw this post on Momtastic on how to cook the perfect salmon and have been preparing it this way all week. You brown the edges quickly in an oven-proof skillet on the stove top, then transfer it to the oven to finish cooking. It gives the salmon a perfectly crispy outer layer while still keeping it nice and tender. I’m all about crispy, crunchy edges and outer layers. Try it, serve the salmon with veggies, in pasta, in a salad or a quinoa bowl–you’ll love it.
This Mexican Quinoa Bowl has black beans, corn, and cilantro in it (plus a few other things to give it flavor), a crispy salmon filet on top, a little avocado and diced tomato, and is drenched with a simple Cilantro-Lime Dressing. It’s totally healthy, hence the drenching. Mix it all together and you’ve got one hearty and healthy quinoa bowl you won’t get enough of.
It was by far the best meal I’ve made in a while. The hubs agrees. The kids, not so much. They do not dig salmon, nor quinoa like we do. But they do like the green smoothies! One out of three is good for me.
Mercy this was good.
- 2 boneless, skinless salmon filet, thawed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed drained
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, seeded and diced
- extra cilantro for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400. Pat salmon filets dry with a paper towel. Generously coat both sides of each filet with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Place salmon filets in the skillet and sear on each side for about 2 minutes, should be nice and golden. Place skillet in the oven and roast for 6-10 minutes (or until cooked through).
- While the filets are roasting, combine quinoa, black beans, corn, garlic, green onion, cilantro, 2 tbsp lime juice, 1/2 tsp cumin in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until warmed.
- Divide the quinoa-black bean mixture into two bowls. Top each with a salmon filet (sliced if desired). Top with diced tomato, avocado and fresh cilantro. Drizzle with Cilantro-Lime dressing (recipe below), toss to combine and enjoy!
- salmon prep source: Momtastic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy!