The last couple of days it’s been a rainy, winter wonderland here. Non-stop drizzling! We’ve been enjoying long, lazy days doing Christmas puzzles, watching Christmas movies, drinking way too much diet coke and eating all the Christmas treats (ok, the latter two are just me). Yesterday we got a little stir crazy and ventured out to Costco and to get the boys hair cuts, and that was enough to put us home for the rest of the day 🙂
You guys, it’s crazy out there. Let’s just all agree to stay home in pjs and make cookies. THESE COOKIES!
My mother-in-law makes these Orange Carrot Cookies every spring and around Easter, but we decided instead of leaving the reindeer carrots on Christmas Eve, we’d leave them carrot cookies (that Santa will love too)!
They are soft, cakey with buttery, orange goodness! The carrots are there for texture + to justify eating a dozen ????
I whipped them up last night after the boys were in bed and couldn’t even help it, I ate HALF a DOZEN right out of the oven. Hot with warm, melty glaze–seriously amazing!
You gotta make them asap. For you, your friends, for Santa & his reindeer!! Get on it.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter or shortening (or half of each)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed cooked carrots
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp orange extract
- Orange food coloring (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream together sugar, butter and eggs. Ad cooled carrots. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Add extracts. Scoop by rounded tablespoon onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes (do not over cook). Let cool on the pan for a couple of minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cream sugar and butter together. Add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until desired consistency. Add extract and a splash of food coloring and cream together. Frost over cooled cookies (or enjoy warm).