Deborah from Taste and Tell is here today sharing a Valentine classic with a twist– Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes! She’s always whipping up such creative recipes, and if you haven’t already visited her site this week YOU SHOULD. She’s dedicating the entire week to Red Velvet. Heaven help us all! Here’s Deborah!
Hi – I’m Deborah from Taste and Tell, and I’m so glad that Kristy asked me here this week to share a Valentine’s Day treat with you. I’ve been a fan of Kristy’s for so long now, and finally met her in real life for the first time a few weeks ago – even though we live so close by!! But I’m happy that I can call her a real life friend now!
- 1 (18.25 oz) white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) box instant strawberry gelatin
- 1 (15 oz) container frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- For garnish
- 24 chocolate dipped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix and gelatin. Add in the pureed strawberries, eggs, vegetable oil and water. Beat for 30 seconds on low, then 1-2 minutes on medium. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3-3/4 full with the batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the cocoa powder. Beat in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- To assemble, frost each cupcake with the chocolate frosting. Top with a chocolate dipped strawberry.
- cupcake recipe adapted from Paula Deen
makes 24 cupcakes