Hi – I’m Deborah from Taste and Tell, and I’m so glad that Kristy asked me here this week to share a Valentine’s Day treat with you. I’ve been a fan of Kristy’s for so long now, and finally met her in real life for the first time a few weeks ago – even though we live so close by!! But I’m happy that I can call her a real life friend now!
- 1 (18.25 oz) white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) box instant strawberry gelatin
- 1 (15 oz) container frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- For garnish
- 24 chocolate dipped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix and gelatin. Add in the pureed strawberries, eggs, vegetable oil and water. Beat for 30 seconds on low, then 1-2 minutes on medium. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3-3/4 full with the batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the cocoa powder. Beat in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- To assemble, frost each cupcake with the chocolate frosting. Top with a chocolate dipped strawberry.
- cupcake recipe adapted from Paula Deen
makes 24 cupcakes