This week, I’m detoxing. Healthy. Clean. Greasy, Tex-Mex free & sugar free foods. (Udi’s Gluten Free Snicker Doodle Cookies do not count!) Because the only bad thing about attending a conference for food bloggers is the amount of food consumed in just two and a half days. Oyyy my scale was not my friend Monday morning.
BUT! I had so much fun, met some amazing people and came home feeling inspired and excited about baking and cooking, photographing, writing about and sharing food with you. And really, it felt like a super fun girls trip. Can we go back next month please?
Probably not. On to the eggs. Brett and I have been on an egg kick for the last month or so. They’re our go-to when we don’t have anyting else to eat (meaning I didn’t plan dinner), which seems to happening more frequently lately. I blame summer.
Egg white omelets are the latest fav, and I love this one stuffed with cheese and smashed avocado. Using avocado, you replace the egg yolks with a much healthier (and tastier) source of fat. I mean c’mon, it’s avocado. So I might use a little more than necessary:)
So feel free to do the same…
- 4 egg whites
- 2-3 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado, smashed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Beat egg whites together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place a non-stick omelet pan over medium-low heat. (If you don't have a non-stick omelet pan, coat a small cooking pan with a dab of coconut oil)
- Pour egg mixture into the pan and as the egg starts to firm up, use a small rubber spatula to gently pull the edges away from the pan. Starting at the edge and working to the middle until you can shake the pan and the egg easily slides around.
- Flip the egg (easier said than done). Use a large spatula to flip it or go for the old air flip (as my husband does).
- Once flipped, spread smashed avocado all over one half of the cooked side. Top with cheese. Fold edge over to cover the cheese and avocado. Remove from heat, season with more salt and pepper if needed, and sever with salsa.