Lately we’ve been eating our way through the giant containers of strawberries from Costco every few days. When strawberries are in season, strawberry shortcake is a given (and one of my favorite desserts!) I had almost half of an angel food cake leftover from making Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs, in addition to all the fixins for Rice Krispie Treats.
The idea just came to me and I went with it.
Chopped up the angel food cake into cubes….
Mixed them in with the rice cereal…
And stirred them into the gooey marshmallow butter mix, pressed them into a pan, and topped them with whipped cream and strawberries.
And ate three in a row.
Go make some!
- 2 1/2 c. Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 heaping cup angel food cake squares
- 2 1/4 c. marshmallows
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 c whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt marshmallows and butter together. Stir in Rice Krispie Cereal and angel food cake squares. (I like to spray my spatula or spoon with Pam before stirring).
- Press into a lightly greased 8 X 8 inch square pan.
- In a stand mix, beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla just until stiff peaks form.
- You can either spread the whipping cream over the Rice Krispies and top with diced strawberries. (Store in the fridge)
- Or you can top individual Rice Krispie Squares with a heaping spoonful of whip cream and top it with fresh strawberries.