The combination of brown butter with brown sugar in this Brown Butter Brown Sugar Pecan Coffee cake is perfection! And it’s loaded with both.
There’s brown butter and brown sugar in the batter of the cake, and there’s a cinnamon-pecan brown butter brown sugar topping that gets sprinkled in the cake and on top of it. So much brown butter and brown sugar my friends. It’s amazing!
I made this coffee cake to help celebrate 12 Days of Sweetness with Wholesome Sweeteners, where they are giving away lots of fun prizes (a $1000 prize basket each day) on facebook for 12 days!
I used their Organic Light Brown Sugar for this cake and I love how soft and tender it is. Paired with the brown butter and pecans, it gives this coffee cake a rich, sweet and nutty flavor keeping it super soft.
Add this coffee cake to your holiday breakfast or brunch menu! And to really make the cake, top a warm slice with another sprinkle of brown sugar!!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup Wholesome Sweetener's Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Melt 1/2 cup brown butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let it begin to simmer, stirring occasionally. Let it continue to simmer (it should start to get foamy). Once brown specks in the butter begin to appear and it starts to smell nutty you know you're almost done. Continue cooking until the butter is golden in color. Remove from heat and let cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Once the brown butter has cooled, beat the brown sugar and brown butter together in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, then add sour cream and heavy cream. Beat slowly until everything is combined.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- brown the 1/4 cup butter (same method as above)
- whisk pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon together
- stir in the brown butter
- Grease an 8 X 8 inch square pan. Pour half of the cake batter into the pan. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar pecan mixture over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar pecan mix and gently swirl it into the batter to distribute it evenly over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set (passes the toothpick test). It will be golden in color. Let cool for several minutes.