I can’t believe Halloween is just around the corner! I mean, it’s blazing hot here…like 95 degrees you guys. I’m still not used to this California fall weather. Will I ever be??? It feels like a never-ending summer, and Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas– they all feel a ways off still. Halloween usually comes with a little snow and by now I’m in full-blow hot cocoa drinking mode.
Thankfully though, I’ve got three little boys, two of which remind me daily that it’s almost Halloween! They’ve been parading around in their costumes non-stop since we bought them three weeks ago at Target. Keepin’ it real creative this year, as always 😉
We’ve also been baking fun halloween treats! Like these Cake Mix Monster Eye Oreo Cookies. To make these I used Pillsbury’s Chocolate Cake Mix, Creamy Supreme Vanilla Frosting, green food coloring, and monster eye candies (found at most grocery stores right now!)
Adding a pop of color to the frosting makes these even more monster-esque! Especially if you let the frosting ooze out of the sides a little. For some reason, all I can think about when I look at these is Mike Wozaski from Monster’s Inc.
- 1 Pillsbury Moist Supreme Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (16 oz) can Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Vanilla Frosting
- green food coloring
- 12-14 candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together. Roll into one inch balls and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven and press an eye ball into half of the cookies (these will be the tops of the oreos).
- Bake for another 2-3 minutes. Remove and let cool for several minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Mix a couple of drops of food coloring into the frosting. Spread between two cookies (using one with an eyeball on it on top).