I straight up tricked my boys with these muffins! Zucchinis, bananas, bran flakes. BRAN FLAKES!! And they didn’t even know it. Gobbled them right up and kept asking for more.
It might have been the chocolate chips sprinkled on top that lured them and masked all the healthy, nutritional stuff, but I’ll take it.
These are a perfect breakfast before a long day at school. Which, I can’t believe I’ll have a kid in Kindergarten in a week and a half!! A part of me is really ready to have him back in school, Owen thrives with structure. But all day? Everyday? It’s going to be a rough transition for him.
But with one in full day kindergarten and another in preschool three days a week, I’m enterting a new phase of life!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil. Remove and stir in 2 cup bran flakes. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine zucchini (ring out extra liquid), 2 mashed bananas, 1 egg, brown sugar, melted coconut oil, milk, flour, baking soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Lastly stir in bran flakes.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tin (or lined with cupcake liners). Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on the top of each. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.