I’m sure I’m breaking some rule about when it’s okay to start baking with pumpkin, but I’m feelin’ pretty good about it. I am after all, using up all that summer zucchini you’ve got, right? Zucchini and Pumpkin, the combo is like the perfect way to say sayonara summer and hellooo fall! It’s a little bit of both in one sweet, chocolatey loaf of bread.
And as much as I will miss our sunny days at the pool and our care free days of summer, I can’t help but get a little bit giddy as fall approaches. I love the change in weather, change in the colors outside, change in wardrobe, and all of the comfort foods of fall.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tbs pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 8X8 inch bread pans and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, salt, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat eggs, sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and canned pumpkin together until smooth. Slowly beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients until combined. Squeeze the zucchini to get rid of extra moisture. Stir in shredded zucchini.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring in 15 second intervals until smooth.
- Pour 1/4 of the batter into each of the bread pans. Spoon a few tablespoons of melted chocolate over the batter and swirl into the batter with a toothpick. Pour the remaining batter into the two pans, spoon more chocolate over the batter and swirl in again.
- Bake at 350 for about 35-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.