Thanks to my friend Aarean from The Color Issue for sharing this Coconut Mango Sticky Rice today! Be sure to check out her blog — about all things colorful and creative!!
WAIT! Ok, before you judge this delectable treat let me just say it was one of the most delicious things my taste buds have had in…a while!I wish I could say I tried this for the first time while perusing the street markets in Bangkok…but instead it was at this mind blowing Thai food restaurant that our friends introduced us to. This place took Thai food to the next level; dare I say it has even become one of my favorites!
So back to the rice…It’s warm, sweet and soaked in coconut milk. If that doesn’t make you jump for joy…the soft mangos add a tangy and distinctive twist that’ll have you coming back for thirds and maybe fourths. If it doesn’t, well I guess we just can’t be friends :-).
Here is the recipe and seriously don’t judge it ’til you taste it…I promise it’s a game changer. Plus, it’s kind of nice to change it up in the dessert department!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 3 mangos, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine the rice and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, mix together 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil; remove from heat and set aside. Stir the cooked rice into the coconut milk mixture; cover. Allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Make a sauce by mixing together 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the tapioca starch in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Place the sticky rice on a serving dish. Arrange the mangos on top of the rice. Pour the sauce over the mangos and rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
This is one of our most favorite desserts. Definitely have to try it!