I hope you guys all had a great Easter weekend! Our was nice and as relaxing, well as relaxing as a weekend can be with three littles! It’s pretty safe to say I ate enough cadbury mini eggs and cake to get me through the next few weeks though. I’m on sugar overload over here. I’m banning myself from chocolate….for at least a few days.
So it’s a perfect time for something savory. These enchiladas aren’t your average enchiladas. They’ve got a twist of barbecue flair. They’re super easy to whip up, creamy and something we’ll eat over and over. The filling for these is simple~ chicken and onions, enchilada sauce, bbq sauce, and cheese. Roll it up in whole wheat or white tortillas, cover them up with more sauce and cheese and bake.
I took these to a friend that just had a baby last week, so I used mild enchilada sauce. You’ll want to do the same for the kiddos too!
- 1.5 lbs cooked and shredded chicken (use rotisserie or 3 breasts, cooked)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (10 oz) cans red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (plus extra for drizzling on top)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 8 large tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl combine enchilada sauce, bbq sauce, and heavy cream together.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil and add onion and garlic. Sautee until golden and tender. Add shredded chicken, season with salt and pepper, and saute until heated through.
- Add 1/2 cup of the bbq-enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Coat the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan with a little of the bbq-enchilada sauce. Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture, roll up and place seam-side down on the baking dish.
- Pour remaning sauce all over the top of the enchiladas and springkle with remaining cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Drizzle with additional bbq sauce and sour cream before serving.
- just slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is