Technically, I made this dish in 2014 but I’m already claiming it as one of the easiest dinners of 2015. Just two ingredients–chicken and a jar of salsa verde (okay, plus a couple of seasonings) go into the slow cooker to make this super flavorful, yummy chicken that you can stuff into just about anything and it’ll be delicious. Tortillas for tacos, burritos, make quesadillas with it, nachos, or salads. It’s so versatile you can’t go wrong any way you use it. We went with tacos the first time around.
While most Mexican dishes are too spicy for my kids, this one wasn’t and they gobbled these tacos right up. Of course, if you want to give them some kick you can with a little crushed red pepper. Make the tacos like you’d make any taco…fill the tortilla with meat and top with your favorite toppings!
Save this one for those super busy days ahead!
Brett and I are being totally cliche and started Whole30 over the weekend (more on that later!) To make these Whole30 compliant, make lettuce wraps with the chicken and skip the sour cream and cheese on top!!
- 1.5 lbs chicken
- 1 (24 oz) jar Salsa Verde
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 flour or corn tortillas (or lettuce wrap them)
- lettuce, sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour the salsa verde over the top. Add cumin and garlic. Stir everything together, cover, and cook on low for about 4-6 hours. Remove chicken once cooked through and tender. Shred the chicken then return to the slow cooker. Stir together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill tortillas with chicken and top with desired toppings! Serve in lettuce wraps for a lighter meal!