Thanks to daylight savings, I was up at five am this morning 🙂 Up at five am and thinking about this chocolate cake! I got to taste-test it for The Hershey Company back in July.
It was one of the best things I ate while visiting (and I ate a lot of chocolate that weekend.) It was a new recipe among several new, gluten-free recipes created by Hershey, and I got to devour it, then critique it. Fun job right?
It’s a moist and rich, dense and smooth chocolate cake covered in a perfect chocolate frosting. I never would have known it was a gluten-free cake just by tasting it. It really is a “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake ~ you’ll never even know it’s gluten-free!
Aside from eating fair share in chocolate while I was there, I learned a lot about The Hershey Company~ its history, its values and goals, its dedication to consumers. Being a mom of a little boy with nut allergies, I love that Hershey is dedicated to providing products and information for consumers with specific dietary needs. I love that their products are labeled accurately and are easy to read, I never have to question if my son may or may not be allergic to a product or worry about cross contamination. If you have any questions about which products meet your needs, the Hershey website provides a list of gluten-free products, sugar-free products, and kosher products.
You can even get gluten-free recipes on their site now too. You’ll find this delicious chocolate cake on there, but to save you a step and show you just how good it looks, I’m sharing the recipe with you here 🙂
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups gluten free all-purpose baking mix
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch round baking pans or one 9 X 13-inch cake pan; dust with cocoa.
- 2. Stir together sugar, baking mix, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. If using round pans, cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. Makes 12 servings.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount of additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
This post is sponsored by The Hershey Company. All opinions are my own!