Sorry I’ve been a little absent on the blog this week. After being in Colorado for almost a week, followed by a quick 36 hr trip to Michigan, I’m wiped out. And just trying to get back into the swing of things.
But it’s summer, so the “swing of things” can mean whatever I want it to, right? It can mean lazy, cartoon-watching, pj-wearing mornings. Napping when my kids nap and showering at 4pm. Totally okay.
That’s about what my day consisted of yesterday. Today is looking the same.
Somehow despite my laziness, I managed to throw this Pesto Chicken BLT Pasta Salad together for a church barbecue I had last night. It’s a perfect summer side, somewhat healthy, and loaded with the classic flavors of a BLT sandwich, with the addition of chicken and pesto sauce.
If you have some cooked chicken on hand, this pasta salad comes together in minutes!
- 13 oz whole wheat pasta (I used rotini)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or grilled chicken, cut into cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 6 pieces turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled (or use regular bacon)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 4 oz pesto sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta noodles to al dente. Drain and place in a large bowl. Let cool.
- Stir in chicken, crumbled bacon, tomatoes, green onion, and cheese.
- In a small container, whisk pesto sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice together. Pour over pasta and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.