I’m just going to go ahead and add these Skinny Stuffed Peppers to the weekly menu and eat them ’til I’m blue in the face. Made them last week and then ate leftovers for lunch the next two days! I’m trying my darndest to clean up the foods I’m eating this month and these skinny little things are a good start.
The filling is so easy–ground turkey, black beans, corn, a small can of enchilada sauce, a few seasonings and a little cheese! I like to serve them with a side salad, chop the pepper up and toss it all together! With a little Bolthouse Farms dressing of choice!
You can add brown rice or quinoa if you want too, but I left it out to have a lower carb meal. You could also cut one of the stuffed peppers up and toss it together with some brown rice or quinoa for your kiddos!
Skinny Stuffed Peppers
- 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey, thawed
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada (or green) sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 dried minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 bell peppers, halved and seeds and membranes removed
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese
- chopped cilantro
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cook the meat over medium heat in a large saucepan. Drain excess liquid.
- Add corn, black beans, enchilada sauce and seasonings. Bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Pour 3-4 tbsp of water in a 9X13 inch baking pan. Place the peppers open side up.
- Fill the peppers with the meat filling. Top each with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the peppers are fork tender and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with a little cilantro or greek yogurt (or sour cream)