I learned something new about my mother-in-law over the weekend. She doesn’t like sweet potatoes!! This would have been nice to know before I made this Slow Cooker Thai Coconut Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry for Sunday dinner 😐 This is also shocking information for someone who is a lover of sweet potatoes.
But guess what??
She liiiiked it! She even said the sweet potatoes were here favorite part of the dish. Whaaa?
I love, love love this Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry, but it requires a few more ingredienst and a few more steps for prep. But this one, it takes just a few minutes to prepare, is so so simple, and has that curry flavor we love. Served over warm white or brown rice and it’s a winner.
Slow Cooker Thai Coconut Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry
- 2 large chicken breasts (or 6 chicken tenders)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed and chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp curry paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- ***see note below to thicken sauce if needed
- Whisk coconut milk, chicken broth and seasonings together in a bowl and pour into a 6qt slow cooker.
- Place diced sweet potato, red bell peppers, onion, and chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 3-4 hours (until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender). Remove chicken and shred with a fork. Add back into the slow cooker.
- Serve over warm white or brown rice.
***If you want a thicker sauce, whisk 2 tbsp cornstarch into 1/4 cup cool water. Pour into the slow cooker and let cook for another 20-30 minutes (until it simmer and thickens)
Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 19 g
Unsaturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Sodium 468 mg
Total Carbohydrates 17 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 18 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.