It’s that time of year again! Back to school! Owen starts his first year of preschool and we are both just a little bit excited. Really, he’s thrilled about it. And I might be doing a little happy dance about it too. It’s going to be great for both of us:)
To celebrate going “Back to School” I’ve teamed up with some great bloggers and Pillsbury to have throw a back to school dinner party. We’ve got appetizers for you, main dishes, side dishes, and of course dessert. Some great ideas to help you get dinner on the table using some of our favorite Pillsbury products.
I made these really easy, really tasty Spaghetti Stuffed Calzones using Pillsbury Classic Pizza Dough and leftover spaghetti. We eat spaghetti on a weekly basis and I always make more than enough. Stuffing it into calzones was one of the best ways I’ve used the leftovers.
It’s like eating every bite of spaghetti with a crusty piece of garlic bread. What’s not to love? And they’re definitely kid and husband approved.
Whip up your favorite batch of spaghetti one night for dinner, make enough for about two cups of leftovers (sauce and noodles combined!) then make these babies the next night for dinner. Two easy meals out of one. Can I get an amen!!
- Make your favorite batch of spaghetti (see quick & easy recipe below). Combine noodles and sauce together. Reserve about 2 1/2 cups spaghetti for the calzones.
- 1 cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 1 tube Pillsbury Refrigerator Pizza Dough
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- Extra spaghetti sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine melted butter and minced garlic.
- Roll out the refrigerator dough into a rectangle and cut into 4 squares. Brush each square with garlic butter.
- Place a heaping spoonful (almost 1/2-2/3 cup) of spaghetti with sauce on one half of each square.
- Fold dough over the spaghetti forming triangle and seal edges together (press together with a fork or twist together)
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the calzones are golden. Remove from oven and brush with butter. Serve with additional spaghetti sauce.
- 1.5-2 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 (24 oz) jars spaghetti sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (13.4 oz) package spaghetti noodles
- Saute garlic and diced onion in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the ground beef or turkey and brown the meat over medium-high heat. Stir in spaghetti sauce (use as much sauce as you like). Cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook noodles to al dente, drain and combine with the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Be sure to check out what my friends are making for our back to school dinner party! Happy back to schooling!
Main Dish – Chicken Enchilada Pillows by Chef in Training
Dessert – Bomb Diggity Brownies by Sweet Basil