My good friend Claire shared this Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from Orangette with me months ago and I just got around to making them last week. Actually, Brett made them. I wanted a treat for our road trip to Vegas over the weekend (Happy Mother’s Day to me!!) and after having two cookie fails in the same day, I through in the towel. Then I remembered this recipe, handed it to my husband, and begged him to make the dough for me. He happily agreed as long as he got to eat all the cookie dough he wanted.
I’ve tried several whole wheat chocolate chip cookies and this one is by far the best! Brett likes these more than our favorite chocolate chip cookies, and he’s a big fan of those. I love the nutty whole wheat flavor and the thick and dense texture it gives the cookies. Throw in more than necessary Ghirardeli Milk Chocolate Chips and these babies go from good to amazing! Under-bake them slightly to avoid a dry and crumbly cookie.
- 2 sticks butter, soft, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (I prefer Ghirardelli)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer until just blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl down. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each one. Beat in vanilla.
- Mix in the flour and beat on low speed until evenly combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Roll golf ball sized bowls out of the dough and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes until just golden. Remove, let cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Do not over bake, cookies will be hard and dry.
- *if you want to chill the dough, let it come to room temp before rolling into balls and baking.
- from my friend Claire, originally from Orangette