My kids go through phases of what they like to eat for breakfast. For a while it was pancakes, then cinnamon toast, and lately it’s muffins. Or as my two year old calls them, “uffins”. And they ask for them every morning. So I like to make a batch for them to eat throughout the week…if they last that long 😐
I whipped up these Whole Wheat Banana Carrot Muffins last week and my boys loved them. I don’t think they knew they were loaded with carrots and banana 🙂 I used our blendtec to blend up the batter, including the carrots and banana to make it nice and smooth!
I love to use coconut oil in baking and it makes these muffins so soft and tender. Sometimes using only whole wheat flour can result in a dry muffin, but with the carrots and banana in addition to coconut oil these babies are extra moist!
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- Place everything (but the oats and 2-3 tbsp brown sugar) in a powerful blender, like the blendtec.
- Blend until the batter is smooth and creamy. Pour into lined muffin tin, 3/4 full. Sprinkle tops with a little bit of oats and brown sugar. Bake at 350 for about 20-22 minutes (or until they pass the tooth pick test)
- adapted from my Whole Wheat Pumpkin Honey Muffins