This Sweet Potato Chili is whole30 approved, healthy, and packed with rich, sweet and spicy flavor!
I made this Sweet Potato Chili a couple of years ago when I was doing Whole 30 for the first time (just after I had Graham!) I made it over the weekend and decided it needed some new photos, and uh…some chips! It’s still whole 30 approved if you ditch the chips. You can use the Trader Joe’s plantain chips if you want to keep it clean 🙂
This Sweet Potato Chili was hands-down, our favorite Whole30 recipe when we did. So good, I made it at least twice a week. But when I was done with Whole30 I kind of forgot about it…
Spending last week in Utah got me really in the mood for soups and chilis. It was so cold there, I wanted hot chocolate every morning and soup every night. Of course we ended up eating out for every meal but it sparked a serious craving. It’s still warm here but I tossed everything in the slow cooker Saturday morning so we could eat that night.
It’s so stinking good!
Loaded with onion and bell peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and ground beef , you won’t miss the beans in this chili. To really give it some flavor and depth, I seasoned the chili with adobe seasoning and a dash of cinnamon. I was skeptical at first, but man, these flavors work well together.
If you are doing Whole30 you can enjoy it with plantain chips. And you absolutely MUST add sliced avocado or a scoop of guacamole. Mmm….I’m ready to make it again already!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili (Whole30)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or regular milk if not on whole30)
- 3 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until translucent. Add ground beef and 1 tsp adobo seasoning and cook until cooked through.
- Place beef, peppers, and sweet potatoes, tomatoes in the slow cooker.
- Add broth, coconut milk, remaining 2 tsp adobo seasoning, cinnamon, cumin and salt and pepper and stir everything together.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with sliced avocado or guacamole!
- **for whole30 use organic ingredients