Thanksgiving wouldn’t quite be complete without a banana cream pie. My grandma made one every year and I’m pretty sure I was the only person to ever eat it. But by the end of the day that pie was dang near gone. So I guess that’s why she continued to make one, year after year.
This Banana Cream Eclair Pie isn’t the recipe she used. Hers were always made from scratch–the crust, the filling, the whipping cream, and this one, well it’s half-way home made. It’s an easier, quicker version and I happen to love it.
I used this Eclair Cake recipe to make an eclair pie crust. I love how light and fluffy this eclair crust is. I kind of wanted to eat that empty crust all by itself.
But instead, I filled it with lots of bananas.
And thick and creamy pudding. With more bananas and fresh whipped cream on top.
Happy pie eating…and Happy Thanksgiving!
Banana Cream Eclair Pie
Write a review
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (4oz) box Jello Banana Cream instant pudding or French Vanilla instant pudding
- 1 c milk
- 3/4 c whipping cream
- 3-4 bananas, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter in water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Mix in one egg at a time, mixing completely before adding the other egg. Spread mixture into a lightly greased pie pan, covering the bottom and sides evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. You may want to check it occasionally-you don’t want to overcook the crust. Remove from oven and let cool (don’t touch or push bubbles down).
- Beat pudding mix with milk and whipping cream until thick and creamy. Place in the fridge until crust has completely cooled and ready to fill.
- Cover the bottom of the eclair crust with sliced bananas. Pour pudding over bananas to fill the crust. Top with more sliced bananas and fresh whipped cream.
Boys Ahoy https://boysahoy.com/