So….Brett and I haven’t had cable for quite some time. We’ve been watching most of our shows via internet streaming, anyone heard of Areo? Don’t worry, it was just shut down. So we’ve turned to Hulu Plus. Even with the internet our tv-watching has been cut in half over the last few months, maybe more, which has been really good for us. I feel like we are more much more productive at night and getting a little more sleep. Just a little.
I still have my shows I like to watch–Greys, Scandal, Parenthood, Revenge–and yeah, that is cutting back:). But you guys, it KILLS me to have to wait until the next day to watch them. It’s kind of torturous for me. I’m seriously so impatient.
As I am with cookies as well. I can’t not eat a hot cookie right out of the oven…even if it falls apart and burns my tongue (happens way too many times). And I can’t not try that hot cookie with a little bit of frosting slathered on top…even if it melts all over the sides. Does anyone ever really let them cool like the directions say??
But I have to know if what I’ve made is a hit or a failure, like immediately. The suspense is about as equal as waiting to see the next episode of Scandal. At least these cookies gave me instant gratification much sooner.
I’m happy to report these Browned Butter Carrot Cake Cookies were a hit! It was reconfirmed later when I took them to a church party and they vanished.
I can’t decide if it’s the browned butter or the cream cheese frosting that makes these so good. It’s probably both! Because let’s be real here….browned butter AND cream cheese frosting make everything better.
These cookies are perfect for Easter and perfect for Spring! Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbs butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 8 oz cream cheese, soft
- 8 oz butter, soft
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 slice fresh lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, whisking slowly as it melts. Continue whisking and continue to cook butter until butter starts to boil and brown flecks starts to appear (butter should smell nutty). Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour browned butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat in sugar and egg, then vanilla. Slowly mix in shredded carrots. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Lastly, stir in oats.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth and no lumps. Cut butter into small cubes and add to the cream cheese, beating until smooth. Slowly mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Squeeze in juice from one lemon slice. Mix in vanilla. Frost cookies with a thick layer of frosting once they've cooled.
- Store in air-tight container.
- adapted from these Browned Butter Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies