Hi friends! I took a little time off from blogging and being on social media and I just have to say it felt SO good. It was just what I needed to recharge and refocus, and I really loved NOT being distracted by social media all day. Even though I blog/instagram for business I really enjoyed just taking a complete break from it all! I needed it to get some balance back in my life!
But I’m back and I’ve got this amaaazing soup for ya! We’re finally getting some cooler, crisp days here in San Diego (my very favorite by the way) and it has me craving all. the. soup. My good friend Cassidy made this seriously good Sausage Tortellini Soup right after I had the twins and I’ve been thinking about it for the last 8 months. Ps my babies are 8 months old! 😭I don’t know why it took me so long to get the recipe from her but I finally did!
It’s healthy, hearty, full of veggies and loaded with flavor! Carrots, zucchini, bell pepper, tomato, and onions. I’ve made this soup with chicken sausage and pork sausage, both are good but I think using the pork gives it the best flavor! Almost everyone in my family devoured this one- except two of my kids preferred the cheesy tortellini over the veggies.
Serve it with a yummy warm slice of butter bread and you’ve got yourself a cozy fall dinner! It’s been tradition to make taco soup or chili on Halloween night for dinner, but I’m totally make this Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup this year!
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
1 lb sweet italian sausage, casings removed (I've made it with both pork and chicken sausage)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup baby carrots (or 1 cup sliced)
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 tbsp chopped basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini (1 medium-large zucchini or two small)
8 oz cheese tortellini pasta
3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
shaved parmesan cheese for topping
- In a large soup pot, brown the sausage. Remove the sausage and drain most of the oil, reserving about a tablespoon of the drippings in the pan.
- Saute the onions and minced garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim any fat from the soup as it cooks.
- Stir in the zucchini, bell pepper and parsley. Simmer covered for another 20-30 minutes.
- Add the tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.
recipe is from my friend Cassidy who got it from All Recipes and just slightly adapted with ingredients had. Too good not to share with all of you!