You guys. For the first time ever last week, I did a little lunch-time meal prep at the beginning of the week. Whyyyyy have I never done that before?
Because most days lunch time rolls around and instead of taking the time to fix myself a decent lunch I just grab a handful of crackers with cheese or eat a protein bar (or stop by Chick-Filet) so I can scoot on my way pick up kids, run errands between Grahams naps, etc.
Having these Sausage, Pepper & Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowls ready to eat in my fridge was amazing! You’ve got to make them!
This makes four lunch-sized portions that fit perfectly in 16 oz tupperware containers. Here’s the break down on how to make them…
First, cook your quinoa–> 1/2 quinoa to 1 cup chicken broth (always, always cook it in chicken broth! tastes so much better)
Next, roast sliced kielbasa sausage, diced bell peppers, onion, and sweet potato until golden and tender. Yes, you can roast it all in one pan! Can I get an amen?!
Evenly divide the quinoa and vegetables amongst your containers. Seal with air-tight lids and store in the fridge until you are ready to eat. When you’re hungry and in a hurry, grab one from the fridge, zap it, and enjoy!!
There’s no reason to be tempted by your kiddos mac n’ cheese or nuggets when you’ve got this in your fridge!
Sausage, Pepper, and Sweet Potato Quinoa Lunch Bowls
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (rinsed if needed)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 bell peppers (any variety), diced (seeds and membrane removed)
- 2 large sweet potato (or three small), peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 (14 oz) package turkey Keilbasa sausage OR 5 links Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan bring chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add quinoa, reduce to a simmer, and cover and cook for 15 minutes (or until liquid is absorbed). Remove from head, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease.
- Place the diced sweet potato, bell pepper, onion and minced garlic in a large bowl.
- Slice the sausage into thin rounds and slice each round in half. Add to the bowl of veggies.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the veggies and sausage and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread out in a single layer on the baking dish. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the sausage and veggies start to brown. Remove from oven.
- Divide quinoa into 6 (16oz) tupperwear containers, about 1/2 cup quinoa into each bowl.
- Divide the roasted sausage and pepper mix evenly among the 6 bowls (about 1 cup in each bowl)
- Cover with airtight lid and store in the fridge.
- OR just mix it all into one large tupperware container and scoop out what you want each day 🙂 Warm in the microwave before eating.
If you want a little dressing, i mixed up a little extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and garlic to add to these!
Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Unsaturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 91 mg
Sodium 860 mg
Total Carbohydrates 27 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 29 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.