I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones and ate lots and lots of food! I definitely ate well, not just on Thanksgiving day, but the whole week. The gym will be oh so fun over the next few days.
I learned something new about my mother-in-law over the weekend. She doesn’t like sweet potatoes!! This would have been nice to know before I made this Slow Cooker Thai Coconut Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry for Sunday dinner 😐 This is also shocking information for someone who is a lover of sweet potatoes.
But guess what??
She liiiiked it! She even said the sweet potatoes were here favorite part of the dish. Whaaa?
I love, love love this Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry, but it requires a few more ingredienst and a few more steps for prep. But this one, it takes just a few minutes to prepare, is so so simple, and has that curry flavor we love. Served over warm white or brown rice and it’s a winner.
- 2 large chicken breasts (or 6 chicken tenders)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed and chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garham masala
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- ***see note below to thicken sauce if needed
- Whisk coconut milk, chicken broth and seasonings together in a bowl and pour into a 6qt slow cooker.
- Place diced sweet potato, red bell peppers, onion, and chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 3-4 hours (until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender). Remove chicken and shred with a fork. Add back into the slow cooker.
- Serve over warm white or brown rice.
- ***If you want a thicker sauce, whisk 2 tbsp cornstarch into 1/4 cup cool water. Pour into the slow cooker and let cook for another 20-30 minutes (until it simmer and thickens)
This Sweet Potato Chili is whole30 approved, healthy, and packed with rich sweet and spicy flavor!
I miss sugar you guys. Mostly chocolate chip cookies. Okay, maybe even just chocolate chips! But I must say, I feel really good so far, eating “clean.” I’ve had so much more energy and I feel leaner (I think just less bloated?) And I really like the meals we are eating.
This Sweet Potato Chili has been hands-down, our favorite Whole30 recipe so far. So good, I made it twice last week! You don’t have to be doing Whole30 to like it though, I promise. You’ll want to fill your belly full of it!
Maybe even a couple of times a week like us.
Loaded with onion and bell peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and ground beef , you won’t miss the beans in this chili. To really give it some flavor and depth, I seasoned the chili with adobe seasoning and a dash of cinnamon. I was skeptical at first, but man, these flavors work well together.
If you are doing Whole30 you can enjoy it with plantain chips. And you absolutely MUST add sliced avocado or a scoop of guacamole. Mmm….I’m ready to make it again this week.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or regular milk if not on whole30)
- 3 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until translucent. Add ground beef and 1 tsp adobo seasoning and cook until cooked through.
- Place beef, peppers, and sweet potatoes, tomatoes in the slow cooker.
- Add broth, coconut milk, remaining 2 tsp adobo seasoning, cinnamon, cumin and salt and pepper and stir everything together.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with sliced avocado or guacamole!
- **for whole30 use organic ingredients
Technically, I made this dish in 2014 but I’m already claiming it as one of the easiest dinners of 2015. Just two ingredients–chicken and a jar of salsa verde (okay, plus a couple of seasonings) go into the slow cooker to make this super flavorful, yummy chicken that you can stuff into just about anything and it’ll be delicious. Tortillas for tacos, burritos, make quesadillas with it, nachos, or salads. It’s so versatile you can’t go wrong any way you use it. We went with tacos the first time around.
While most Mexican dishes are too spicy for my kids, this one wasn’t and they gobbled these tacos right up. Of course, if you want to give them some kick you can with a little crushed red pepper. Make the tacos like you’d make any taco…fill the tortilla with meat and top with your favorite toppings!
Save this one for those super busy days ahead!
Brett and I are being totally cliche and started Whole30 over the weekend (more on that later!) To make these Whole30 compliant, make lettuce wraps with the chicken and skip the sour cream and cheese on top!!
- 1.5 lbs chicken
- 1 (24 oz) jar Salsa Verde
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 flour or corn tortillas (or lettuce wrap them)
- lettuce, sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour the salsa verde over the top. Add cumin and garlic. Stir everything together, cover, and cook on low for about 4-6 hours. Remove chicken once cooked through and tender. Shred the chicken then return to the slow cooker. Stir together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill tortillas with chicken and top with desired toppings! Serve in lettuce wraps for a lighter meal!