Happy Friday mamas. It’s my first baby boy’s birthday today 😭 SEVEN you guys. It sounds so much older than six. And he looks so much older too! I’ve got figure out a way to make him a GIANT chocolate chip cookie cake today and I’m sure glad I’ve got these Chocolate Peanut Butter + Coconut Protein Balls to grab when I really just want to lick the beaters, bowl, and eat all the dough. Oh who am I kidding….I’ll probably have a lick or a bite or two.
But YOU should give these a try! Totally different than your typical protein balls and they totally taste like a treat! Can you see the secret ingredient in them?????
Quinoa! Cuz you know I love it.
I wasn’t sure how protein balls would turn out, what the texture would be like, if they’d hold their shape, taste good, you know? But they turned out perfect! And the texture is much softer/fudgier than most protein balls made with just oats….almost like the texture of a larabar. They definitely need to be stored in the fridge, but I threw a couple into the freezer and love them frozen too!
So here’s what ya need:
Quinoa √ Rolled Oats √ Designer Whey Chocolate Protein √ (got mine at Trader Joe’s + I love it so far). Organic Raw Honey √ Cinnamon √ All Natural Chunky Peanut Butter √ and Unsweetened Coconut Flakes √
It’s important to note my peanut butter was a little on the runny side. So use a similar peanut butter that isn’t scoopably stiff (make sense). And if you need to, microwave it for a minute. If the mix still seems too runny add a splash of honey or just a tsp of water util you reach your desired consistency. So you can form a ball.
And I know I always tell you to cook your quinoa in chicken broth for better flavor, but don’t do that for these! Just cook it in normal water!
Then, just roll the balls into the unsweetened flaked coconut, one a a time. Then just chill the bad boys in the fridge.
These are smaller protein balls so I like to eat 2-3 to get 8-10 g protein, for around 200 calories 🙂 REALLY great for pre-workout or a healthier snack/treat option!
Chocolate Peanut Butter + Coconut Quinoa Protein Balls
- 3/4 cup cooked + cooled quinoa (i used an organ multi-colored quinoa)
- 1/2 cut rolled oats
- 1 scoop Designer Whey Chocolate Protein
- 1/4 cup all natural chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup unsweeted coconut flakes, chopped fine
- Place everything but the coconut flakes in a medium bowl. Stir together until everything is combined. If the mix seems too dry, add a teaspoon of water or a little extra honey.
- Roll into one-inch balls, then roll each ball into the unsweetened coconut.
- Store in an air-tight container in a fridge or freezer.
**use quinoa that was cooked in water, not chicken broth 🙂 I always recommend cooking in broth, but not when when making it sweet. **use an all natural chunky peanut butter that is more on the runny side. Or microwave your peanut butter for 5-10 seconds until it's slightly runny. (see picture)
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.8 g
Total Carbohydrates 7 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 3.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.